Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Musical aptitude after 30




If you had asked me if I was musically proficient at any point in my life, I would have answered with a proud and ignorant "yes!"

This was because I did in fact have a strong musical background, but that only included using my ears to listen to what others had performed or recorded, and the instrumental classes that were included in my grade-school curriculum. I had also been rapping since the age of six, and occasionally making beats (electronically, of course). I have always mostly been known for the fact that I am a hip hop artist, but recently it has come to my realization how out-of-tune I am with the truth of the matter...

I'm not musically proficient - not at all! Never have been, but that doesn't mean I can't be.

What I allowed to happen was this: I confused my lyrical proficiency with musical proficiency. Simply put, voice alone is not music unless you use it in a certain way - which is rare in hip hop music (If you need an example of what I mean, listen to a little Pharoahe Monch - his style is musical as it can be).

So I'm at a point now in my life where certain realizations are hitting me hard, and I'm still at the age where I can actually take action instead of regretting unaccomplished goals. I've decided to learn as much as I possibly can about music and music theory including music history and progression. Every instrument that I get my hands on or take interest in will prove to be a new challenge to me... challenges that I am eager to face. I love music now more than ever, and even though I could have learned this stuff years ago, I still want to, and there's no better time than NOW!

I've always had a high aptitude for learning, and thankfully that seems to get a little better as I get older. I know that this won't be simple, but I'm not looking for simple. I'm looking for self-satisfaction and beautiful music that is created by my own hands. In 2010, I plan on becoming a proficient guitar player, and at least learn the basics of a list of instruments:

  • Piano/Keyboard
  • Trumpet
  • Flute
  • Electric Bass
  • Xylophone
...This ought to be fun. Hopefully along the way on my journey, I'll be able to pick up a few supporters - the more the merrier! I'm always looking for advice, and since I'll be posting videos soon, input is always welcome.

0 comments from deh people: