Thursday, February 4, 2010

My musical Roots Part I

As I mentioned before, I grew up listening to a LOT of good music (hell - I'm listening to good music right now). Believe me, if assload was a legitimate unit of measurement, that would describe my music collection. I listened to a lot of P-Funk, r&b, Soul, Blues, Reggae, but I fell in love with Hip Hop pretty much right away, and in retrospect, it's definitely because of the way it (Hip Hop) has always been able to blend these genres of music into a "supersound" of sorts. My musical appreciation and awareness still expand every day, and I keep an open mind to accompany two open ears, and I have Hip Hop music to thank for that. I no longer have a favorite artist - I tend to look at every artist's musical contributions individually because I love so many of their works. I'm not going to compare Prince to Michael Jackson or Jay-Z to Busta Rhymes. Not happenin'.

...But on the other hand, I do have a tendency to argue about guitarists... Jimi Hendrix was the fuckin' man! On top of being the fuckin' man, he didn't even know how to read music! Damn shame he had to leave the United States to gain recognition.. Obviously we weren't ready, and some of us still aren't. Are you experienced? Do what he did in three years and maybe I'll believe you. nyaah!





Honorable Mention: George Clinton


Um. Yea... so this guy has always been a musical idol for me. It holds true that when it comes to art in any form, whether that be music, painting, or even poetry - the weirdo always does well. Imagine touring the world for over thirty years performing P-Funk, which is high-energy in nature, and thus requires energy. You, George Clinton are also the fuckin' man!


Bill, you're the fuckin' man, too.

Look at Arsenio Hall there with that E.T finger!! Speaking of Arsenio Hall, Remember his "brother"/alter ego "Chunky A"? Sorry for letting these two spoil Georges "Honorable Mention moment", but my mind wanders sometimes.






You can check out a wiki on George Clinton and his work here, and be sure to check out some Parliament music! It's good shit!

I'm going to end the part I of this blog here, as not to get too wordy and long "winded". I'll return with the second part sometime within the week.

peAce.

0 comments from deh people: